Crown Equipment Corporation Data Use Policy for Connected Products and Services
Effective Date: May 1, 2020
When you acquire and use Connected Products and Services of Crown Equipment Corporation, those Connected Products and Services collect and transmit certain information (“Data”) to Crown and Crown’s affiliates, subcontractors and dealers (collectively, “Crown Service Providers”). Crown and the Crown Service Providers collect and use the Data from the Connected Products and Services in varying ways, depending on the type of Connected Products and Services being used.
Data privacy and security is very important to Crown, and we want our customers to feel comfortable using our Connected Products and Services. To that end, this Data Use Policy was developed to inform you of how we collect and use Data. By entering into an agreement with Crown or a Crown Service Provider for the Connected Products and Services or otherwise obtaining the Connected Products and Services from Crown or a Crown Service Provider, you agree to this Data Use Policy, as updated from time to time as described below.
For purposes of this Data Use Policy, “Connected Products and Services” include products, services and mobile application offerings of Crown, such as InfoLink® and Truck Monitor, that permit the online and offline collection of Data through communication devices (including by wi-fi, blue tooth, cellular, or satellite devices), application program interfaces, and other means.
If you have an InfoLink® agreement with us or any Crown affiliate, that agreement will exclusively govern how (i) all Data that is personal data (data that identifies, or is identifiable to, a specific individual, as defined under applicable law, "Personal Data") and (ii) all non-personal Data is handled, to the extent there are any inconsistencies between your InfoLink® agreement and this Data Use Policy. InfoLink® is the only Connected Product and Service that collects any type of Personal Data, and it does not collect highly sensitive information such as social security numbers, financial information, medical information, wage information or the like.
The Connected Products and Services collect Data from you. You understand that the same Data may be collected by Crown and Crown Service Providers from you in more than one way, and this Data Use Policy applies only to Data collected through the Connected Products and Services. Data collected through the Connected Products and Services includes the following, depending on the Connected Products and Services that you acquire from us and/or Crown Service Providers:
- Data about your truck, including data generated by the sensors and software in your truck, including but not limited to the serial number, event codes, hour meters, impact data, and battery state of charge, as more thoroughly described in the applicable service literature and documentation available from Crown and Crown Service Providers.
- System information, including information about the Connected Products and Services that Crown and Crown Service Providers sell, lease, or service. System information includes model number, version, configuration information, and environment.
- Information about your employees* including information relating to your employees’ use and operation of the Connected Products and Services.
- Event and location information, such as vehicle location, vehicle utilization, operator information* such as information about compliance, impacts and productivity, supervisor comments, fleet utilization, load weight, battery level, fork height, and other event information about your operation and use of certain products.
* InfoLink® is the only Connected Product and Service that collects any type of Personal Data, and it does not collect highly sensitive information such as social security numbers, financial information, medical information, wage information, or the like.
How Data is Collected and Used by Crown and Crown Service Providers
The Data is collected through the Connected Products and Services. Crown and Crown Service Providers may use Data as reasonably required:
- to communicate with you;
- to provide products and services to you and other customers;
- to support, maintain, and optimize your use of products and services, which may be performed remotely or through other means;
- to fulfill orders and perform other obligations;
- to develop, enhance, modify or improve Crown’s products and services;
- to inform you of products and services that may be of interest to you;
- for your use of Connected Products and Services;
- to aggregate the Data collected from you with the data collected from others (aggregated data belongs to Crown and may be shared by Crown with third parties, provided that Data collected from you will be aggregated with the data collected from others so that the Data collected from you will not be disclosed in a way that would permit others to identify the Data as Data collected specifically from you);
- to develop and perform data analysis, benchmarking and other insights and analytics;
- to create metrics and reports such as usage reports;
- for general business purposes; and
- as otherwise agreed upon by you and us.
The right of Crown and Crown Service Providers to use Data as described in this Data Use Policy shall survive termination or expiration of your relationship with us.
When Data is Disclosed to Others by Crown and Crown Service Providers
Crown and Crown Service Providers share Data with each other for the purposes described above, including that in some instances, Data collected from you may be shared with Crown Service Providers located outside of your home country.
Data arising from your use of Connected Products and Services may be hosted in cloud environments operated by third party service providers. Crown will ensure that such third party service providers maintain reasonable technical, organizational, and administrative measures to help protect Data from unauthorized disclosure or use.
Crown may disclose Data:
- if required to do so under applicable laws;
- to comply with legal process;
- to respond to lawful requests from governmental authorities;
- to enforce our rights under contracts between you and us;
- and to avail ourselves of any available remedies.
We understand the value of data security, and fully strive to protect the Data we collect. To that end, Crown uses industry standard security practices and measures to protect against loss of Data and unauthorized access or use of Data by third parties. However, no security practices can protect against each and every security threat, and we therefore cannot guarantee the protection and security of the Data 100% of the time.
If you receive Connected Products and Services from us, you grant us permission to access the Connected Products and Services as required to remotely perform software and system updates, if we determine in our discretion to make those updates available to you.
Changes to the Data Use Policy
This Data Use Policy may be updated by us periodically, and any updates will be posted on www.crown.com. Please check our website frequently for updates. This Data Use Policy is incorporated by reference into your agreements with us or with a Crown Service Provider, and except as otherwise stated herein, or unless your agreement with Crown or a Crown Service Provider expressly states otherwise, this Data Use Policy shall prevail over any conflicting provision found in those agreements.