In the course of Crown’s business, including the recruitment of new personnel in New Zealand, Crown collects personal information and Crown recognises the importance of protecting your privacy.
Crown is committed to complying with the Privacy Act 2020 (Privacy Act) in relation to all personal information it collects. This commitment is demonstrated in this Policy. The Privacy Act incorporates the New Zealand Privacy Principles, and personal information held by Crown will be treated in accordance with those Principles.
This Policy explains how Crown may collect and use personal information, the circumstances in which it might disclose personal information to third parties, how persons can access their personal information held by Crown and what they can do if they are unhappy with Crown’s treatment of their personal information.
2. Who is Crown Equipment Limited?
In this Policy, “Crown” (or “we”, “us” or “our”) refers to Crown Equipment Limited (Business Number 9429040441160).
This Policy applies to any individuals in respect of whom Crown currently holds, or may in the future collect, personal information.
This Policy applies to personal information. “Personal information” is information about an identifiable individual.
5. What information is not personal information?
Information where Crown has removed any reference to a person, so that the person cannot be reasonably identifiable from the information, is not personal information.
Crown may use this information (where identifiable characteristics have been removed, so that you will remain anonymous) for its own purposes and commercial gain. For example, the fact that “x” users aged 30-35 have accessed a Crown website is not personal information.
6. How and when does Crown collect personal information?
Crown may collect personal information in a variety of ways in the course of conducting its businesses, including:
- in agreements it enters into with customers, suppliers, contractors and other personnel;
- when providing equipment and services and related information to customers, and administering customer accounts;
- when engaging suppliers, contractors and other personnel;
- when responding to questions regarding our products and our business;
- by interacting with people via our websites, email and telephone;
- when conducting trade promotions and competitions;
- for security purposes, such as by security video surveillance at Crown sites; and
- where otherwise legally permitted.
The kinds of personal information collected and held by Crown will depend on your interaction with us. This may include (depending on the circumstances) names, addresses and other contact details, details about a person’s work experience and other qualifications, date of birth, driver’s licence details, bank account details, photographs, video footage and marketing details.
Unless a specific exception applies under the Privacy Act, Crown will collect personal information directly from you and take reasonable steps to inform you that this is being done.
However in some circumstances, it may be necessary for Crown to collect personal information from a third party, including through third party service providers or agents (e.g. Crown customer information received from Crown branches) or from a source of publicly available information (e.g. a telephone book).
Personal information collected by Crown is held in a variety of formats, including (but not limited to) hard copy format and on Crown’s computer systems.
Crown will not collect personal information by unlawful means or by means that in the circumstances of the cases are unfair, or intrude to an unreasonable extent upon the personal affairs of the person concerned. You are not required to provide Crown with any personal information that we request. However, if you do not do so, we may not be able to respond to your request or provide you with our services. We’ll let you know if this is the case.
7. How does Crown use personal information?
The use to which we can put personal information depends on the reason for which it was collected and our relationship with you.
Crown may use personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide our products and services,
- the delivery of equipment to you,
- to process an application for credit,
- to comply with our legal obligations,
- to ensure the security of our networks and systems, protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other claims,
- to analyse your use of Crown websites,
- to facilitate our internal business operations (including for training and for developing, maintaining and testing our IT systems and infrastructure),
- for any directly related secondary purpose i.e. that we could reasonably be expected to use the personal information for, or
- for any other purpose that you have authorised or that is otherwise permitted by law.
In certain circumstances, Crown may use personal information for promotional or direct marketing purposes (including by email and other electronic means). However, you may opt-out of receiving direct marketing at any time . Such a request can be made by contacting Crown via our contact details provided under the “Contact Crown” heading below. There is no fee for making such a request.
8. Disclosure of personal information
Crown may disclose personal information to third parties for the purposes set out in this Policy with the following parties:
- our related companies and organisations, partners, contractors and service providers (including IT services providers), to assist us with the operation of our business;
- authorities, regulators and professional advisers (including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers);
- third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets; an
- any other party authorised by you.
Where disclosure to a service provider is necessary, Crown will require that the third party undertake to treat the personal information in accordance with the New Zealand Privacy Principles.
Otherwise, Crown will only disclose personal information to third parties with the consent of the person to whom it relates or if otherwise permitted by the Privacy Act.
Under no circumstances will Crown sell personal information without the consent of the person to whom it relates.
It is not likely that Crown will disclose a customer’s personal information to overseas recipients. Occasionally, we may need to send your personal information overseas (e.g., to our third party service providers or group companies). However, we will ensure that any such transfer of personal information will only be undertaken in compliance with the Privacy Act.
9. Information Security
Crown will take all reasonable steps in the circumstances to ensure that all personal information held by Crown is protected, by such security safeguards as it is reasonable in the circumstances to take, against loss, access, use, modification, or disclosure and other misuse. If it is necessary for the information to be given to a person in connection with the provision of a service to Crown, Crown will impose requirements on the service provider requiring it to prevent unauthorised use or unauthorised disclosure of the information.
Crown will not keep that information for longer than is required for the purposes for which the information may lawfully be used, and will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for the purposes for which Crown is authorized to use it.
10. Accessing personal information
You may request to confirm whether or not Crown holds personal information about you, and to access such personal information. Such a request can be made by contacting Crown via our contact details provided under the “Contact Crown” heading below.
Crown may charge a fee for reasonable costs incurred in giving access to an individual’s personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. The fee (if any) will be disclosed prior to it being levied.
11. Correcting personal information
Crown will take reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the personal information we hold. However, if you believe that any of your personal information that we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date, then you may contact Crown via our contact details provided under the “Contact Crown” heading below to request that such personal information is corrected.
If you wish to complain about a breach by Crown of this Policy, and/or of the New Zealand Privacy Principles, a complaint may be lodged with Crown via our contact details provided under the “Contact Crown” heading below.
Crown deals with complaints via our internal data privacy complaint process, under which a Crown contact officer will be allocated to assess your complaint and respond to you within a reasonable timeframe. Crown takes all complaints seriously and any further action after our initial response to you will vary depending on the nature of your complaint.
13. Additional information regarding Credit Information
The types of credit information that Crown collects and uses for the purpose of assessing an application for commercial credit include:
- full name (including any alias or previous name), sex, date of birth, addresses (including previous addresses), occupation (and any previous occupation), employer (and any previous employer), and other contact details and identification documents (in certain circumstances) of accountholders and guarantors (both prospective and current);bank account details;
- driver’s licence details;
- financial information;
- administrative information incidental to credit reporting activities;
- information on the assets held by an individual; and
- information about your default and repayment history.
Such information is collected from the relevant individual and from credit reporting bodies, as well as from publicly available information. Crown uses the information collected to create an internal credit assessment report.
Crown discloses credit information to credit reporting bodies:
- to obtain a credit report from the credit reporting body; and
- for the purposes of lodging a default listing against the individual. When lodging a default listing we may do this ourselves or by our agents.
Credit reporting and debt collection agents may retain your personal information (including information about your default and repayment history) and provide that information to other customers who use their services.
15. Google Analytics
You may opt out of Google Analytics by using the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB
16. Contact Crown
Crown Privacy Officer
Po Box 51475
Telephone: 0800 802 002